I was doing some reading this afternoon and came across this quirky piece about the how to taste wine written by Pietro de’ Crescenzi at the beginning of the 15th century. Pietro de’ Crescenzi was a Bolognese author who wrote an important treatise on agriculture called the Opus agriculturae of Rutilus Taurus Aemilianus...
Archive for category: History
Here is a little, probably obscure side note in the world of Mediterranean food. In 1691, Giuseppe Maria Mitelli was Baroque Bologna’s great designer of board games. A failed artist, he became an engraver, and in all engraved some 33 board games, including the fascinating Game of Cocknaige. This...
The Mediterranean Sea, sometimes referred to as ‘the Great Sea’ or the Middle Sea’ is bordered by 22 countries, historically bound together by trade, religion, invasion, conquest, patronage, and food. The beauty and romance of the Mediterranean has drawn people for centuries, epitomised by the Grand Tour, Brideshead Revisited...
Welcome to my love affair with the food, wine, history and culture of the Mediterranean, past and present. Here you will find not only recipes, drinks and fabulous products, but the history of the food and culture of the Mediterranean.
My purpose is to get you to explore and experience new tastes and along the way to immerse yourself in the wonderful history of this diverse and wonderful region – from Venice to Istanbul, Rome to Dubrovnik, Athens to Crete and all places in between and in the surrounds. Be prepared to be surprised, delighted and enthralled as you take this trip with me.
- A perfect flourless dense tart cake with caramelised slices of lime
- A wonderful Greek chicken dish to share – Kotopoulo Tiganito
- Pacharán – the sloe liqueur from Navarra
- A miraculous potion containing dried wine lees…..
- A perfect Pea, Mint & Feta Crostini
- Pollo Al Sugo Con I ‘Rocchini’ – A wonderful dish from Pisa
- Paklenica National Park, Croatia – rock-climbers paradise
- For Love of Yourself – a poem by Charlie Chaplin
Support Med Meanderings
- Art & Music
- Book Reviews
- Daily Meanderings
- Did You Know?
- Herb & Spices
- Product Reviews
- Wine & Food